We're always striving for the best investment returns for our members, and we do this responsibly.
The Trustee for MyLife MyPension was one of the first to adopt the Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI). The Principles are an initiative backed by the United Nations and provide a framework for the investment community to achieve better long-term investment returns and more sustainable markets using Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) criteria. Signatories agree to:
- Incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes
- Be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into their ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which they invest
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry
- Work together to enhance the effectiveness of implementing the Principles
- Each report on their activities and progress towards implementing the Principles
To achieve these objectives, the Fund works with other investors to establish a constructive dialogue with corporations to ensure that they are properly managing their environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks. Being mindful of ESG principles lowers the overall level of risk and helps ensure long-term sustainability. Some of these risks include:
- Climate change - carbon emissions
- Excessive executive remuneration
- Poor corporate governance
- Occupational health and safety
- Human capital management
- Poor or unacceptable business operations (i.e. engaging child-labour or inadequate environmental clean-ups)
Having a PositiveIMPACT
PositiveIMPACT is our investment option with the clearest and most tangible environmental and/or social impact. With a 10-year return objective similar to our Balanced Growth option and a risk profile similar to our Growth Plus option, the actual benefits of PositiveIMPACT aren’t only with your pension.
Climate change risks and opportunities
We understand and recognize the potential risks of climate change. We need to be aware of those risks, and be proactive in assessing and managing them as part of our duties to our members.
We manage these risks and capture the opportunities in a number of ways, including:
- Collaborating with other investors through engagement with companies
- Collaborating with other investors through engagement with policy makers to encourage strong and concerted policy action, such as through our membership with the IGCC
- Measuring and reporting our carbon footprint and carbon intensity of the equity portfolio, including signing the PRI led Montreal Carbon Pledge to measure and report the carbon emissions and intensity of equity portfolios
- Engaging with our fund managers to encourage greater awareness and integration of climate risk into investment processes.
- Supporting research initiatives to improve knowledge and skills
- Investing in low carbon, energy efficient opportunities and reporting these through the low carbon investor registry
You can read more about our approach in our Climate Change Position Statement.
Exercising voting rights is an important tool for encouraging responsible corporate behaviour and expressing views regarding a company’s strategy, leadership, remuneration, mergers and acquisitions and its Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) practices and disclosure.
The purpose of our proxy voting policy is to outline our approach to voting on resolutions put to shareholder meetings of its investee companies.Learn more
Proxy voting register
This document contains a record of the votes taken by the trustee of MyLife MyPension, and an overview of the subjects voted on.View details